Thursday

To Fly......

I truly have to stop myself from blogging most times (I'm sure you'll wonder what I'm talking about after all this is only my second blog here)...but truthfully I get the urge to spill my guts after doing or seeing almost every and anything.....


Yesterday for instance I went to the airport to bid a good friend of mine who was traveling alone for the first time, she hates to travel so already she had bought her sleeping drugs and I had to use all my persuasive skills to convince her not to take the drugs immediately (trust me took it alot of spit)

Now don't get me wrong she was happy to be going to Paris (the city of love), thats been her dream for a really long time but thoughts (as always) kept zig zagging through my head.......she finally had to leave and I asked myself why exactly do we get a certain feeling of joy once we know we're leaving the country....I get that joy even when I'm flying to Accra....(Cotonou doesn't do it for me anymore....see finish is worrying me)


Is the joy from the fact that we're flying, or maybe its cos we know we will be missed, or for some the pleasure of knowing they have traveled and people around them know that fact as well...












For me, the joy on my face when I travel (Especially to somewhere new) is the joy of the unknown. the joy of the unknown airport which you can get lost in, unknown duty free zone where you can pretend like you want to buy something, the joy of the unknown airport security and the colors of their various uniforms, the joy of the unknown weather which you feel with the first step outside the automatic sliding glass doors, the joy of the unknown hotel receptionist, the joy of the unknown Shopping Malls, Museums, Art Galleries and for some Water Parks/Amusements Parks and finally the joy of the Unknown faces that will become good friends depending on how well you approach them.

Thats my joy...

4 comments:

  1. You're on your own there O. Nothing is more stressful than disembarking at a strange airport, especially when you are in transit. The anxiety about possibly missing your connection, the uncertainty about where you need to go, the sense of dread at the reception you'll receive. And all this after a long flight.

    Airports are just no fun. Long queues, unfriendly staff, excess luggage ... I am always just happy to pay a bit extra (or a lot if need be) and fly direct. Wanna get off the plane and be out of there in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the last Paragraph, I'd edit the word 'Joy' and replace it with Paranoia! u get joy from those cold formalities? ahh..I must learn from you! lol..the only Joy I know of is, the Joy of getting a seat by the window instead of the aisle so you can admire the landscape and look at the otherwise monotonous stretch of clouds as you attain a higher altitude....and awaiting the mixed feeling as u approach the next tarmac shortly after basking in the Joy of seeing how liliputan those 'pretend to be important' airport security detail are...aaaah..lest I forget, the joy of seeing Molue being reduced to a matchbox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyclone, as if u read my mind, i remember my first tyme and tat was in Paris also, landing at the early hours and could nt pac about cos we were due to fly again in four hours and was to anxious to stand from my seat, the lucky thing was i was not travelling alone but with another first tymer so we just gt stuck 2gether
    but coming bck to the airport and spending a day in the city made me forget the harrowing experience

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me introduce myself and say welcome to blogworld. Blogging is fun no matter what. Well, travelling exposes one to every part of the world. You know culture and tradition and everything. I can imagine how you felt then. Hope you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete